Thursday, June 29, 2006

Tonight was the "launch event" for Lily Brett's novel You Gotta Have Balls at the McNally Robinson bookstore in SoHo. Lily came to the law office where I work for a consultation, and put my employer, Martin Price, on the list for this event. I seem to be the literary arm of the Law Office of Martin L. Price, so I went.

When I went to the Frank McCourt event I knocked myself out reading Angela's Ashes and Teacher Man beforehand. Since YGHB only went on sale in this country the day before yesterday, and would be on sale at the event, I didn't feel compelled to read it in advance, but she has also written a collection of personal essays called In Full View. I wish I'd read that before today, but it's not easy to find. I may have to get it from the library.

I had meant to e-mail her before today, introduce myself and ask her to visit the blog. I suppose I still can. It seems hard to orchestrate the timing of everything.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Linda, you artsy girl! I'm jealous.

AWJ said...

How did it go?

And yes, jealous. I've only been to one reading in my life. Of course, that's my fault.

The one I did go to, though, I ended up being glad I hadn't read his current work. It was a treat to hear the first chapter read by the author himself. Got me very hyped up to read the rest.