Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I love it when authors do that - keep writing about the same "universe," in science fiction terms. When I realized Stephen King characters interacted with each other from novel to novel, I was delighted. It felt like a guilty pleasure, like he was breaking some rule. I guess because I've heard it said that "readers just want you to keep writing the same book over and over" and I got the impression authors were supposed to want to start from scratch each time. (Though usually certain characters reappear, even if they're not "supposed" to be the same person.) I love the idea of books about the relatives of characters from a book I've already read.

Me, I knew as I was writing "A Singular Being" that I'd like to write about that universe again, though I was thinking of the species/planet, not necessarily the same character. But now I'm thinking about a novel that will be in part a romance between Pneumia, the young scientist protagionist of "Being" and the guy who delivers the fresh have-to-think-of-alien-sounding-name-for-clams-mussels-oysters-shrimp that my intelligent and pychic sea creatures eat.

3 comments:

Cyn said...

I just like these people I've made up so much. I can't stop thinking about them. I filter everything through their eyes as well as my own. Also, since I have a group of friends who are my readers, they sort of demand more info about the people they like. I also have the experience of a fan base that I have made extremely angry on occasion. Especially with a death that happens about 7 books into my series. My husband read it one morning while taking a bath and jumped up soaking wet to wake me up and demand that I change it. I saved all the angry e-mails from my friends. One friend went back and read my earlier stuff, thought it was leading up to the death and then accused me of premeditated murder.

Unknown said...

At least nobody kidnapped you...

How many of these readers are there?

Cyn said...

I did get an e-mail from a friend that said I was a dirty bird! There's a core group of five readers and also another five who have read some of the books but not all of them. I gave out holiday short stories this year to the family for Christmas, but I don't think anybody ever read them.