Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I feel weird that my first post is self-congratulatory and promoting, but here it goes. I found out Friday that my short story, "Calamari and the Smell of Wet Sweat", sold to Wicked Karnival. Nice sale; I'd been waiting about three months to find out if I'd made the final cut. Wasn't very confident about it, as it's a strange little thing written in present tense-- something I never do.

This was the last story I finished, and that was back in January. I've started other stories (and a book), but they've all fizzled out, either from lack of desire or lack of direction. After this long a drought, I desperately need a kick in the pants.

6 comments:

Cyn said...

Congratulations! How very cool!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Athena! That's great!

Don't feel weird - it's totally appropriate.

I gather from the list of publications on your website, not to mention all the googling I did trying to find your website, that you've been pretty prolific, so it's all relative. One writer's drought is another writer's drizzle.

May this sale give you all the inspiration you need! Enjoy!

AWJ said...

Thanks, ladies!

One writer's drought is another writer's drizzle.

Heh. Yes, you're right. If it doesn't work though, at least I've been published, and in some good places.

Unknown said...

Don't forget the award nomination!

Cyn said...

Athena, I just checked out your website. You were born 50 miles from where I was born and grew up in Portsmouth, OH. Huntington was the closes "Big City" where all the news came from.

Unknown said...

Cool!