Thursday, May 11, 2006

You know what I hate about blogs? (Aside from being stuck in a unidirectional linear chronological rut.) I wish people who visit could do more than just comment, or that comments could be displayed more prominently. (I just turned off the "show comments in pop-up window" feature because it was annoying and made the print too small.) I wish visitors could request to join, or anyone could post. There must be other options that I don't know about. Maybe LiveJournal is better than Blogger...?

You look at anyone's blog, and it's just them them them. I'm so glad you're here, Cyn! But so far the 4 other people I've invited have not accepted the invitation. Christine W. Murphy commented and Sue Lange said she would check it out, but that was in response to the e-mails I sent them, before I discovered the "invite new member" feature. I've been wanting to invite Athena Workman, and I finally found an e-mail address for her! I finally managed to scratch beneath the surface of Apex's blog.

OK, so all my author picks have appeared in Apex Digest.

Athena Workman is on LiveJournal and I think that's what powers Apex's blog too.

Maybe we should move.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,

I'm finally making it here. First off, my blog is on LiveJournal, which has the same format as yours and probably would not offer you anything more than what you already have. Blogs are meant to be just what you described: a place where the journaler can go on and on about their own little sick self. Some blogs are better than others, usually because the blog is centered around some topic (such as writing, like yours) other than the blogger's life. Entries go beyond the usual fare of where the blogger spent the weekend and with whom.

I think when and if you get your forum going, you'll probably be happier with that as fora are designed for real discussion. Blogs are designed to be more uni-directional. The comment area is inadequate although I have gotten into private discussions with individuals I've e-met through someone's blog. They are short-lived and you don't gain any kind of lasting relationship beyond the one post that sparked the mini-meeting.

Blogs are good if you want to keep an ongoing report on some topic. My blog centers around my attempts to learn organic farming. Unfortunately, once March hit, I had no time for the blog because that's when the farming year starts. Planting and tending the fields takes up most of my time, now. God forbid I'd be able to write something!

At any rate, I think your blog will be fine, but it won't spark the kind of conversation you're looking for. However, if you're going to list writing tips, or opportunities, or if you want to post writing information from time to time, stick with the blog and keep letting people know about it.

See what happens. It can't hoit! (Unless you have a farm.)

Sue

http://scusteister.livejournal.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments, Sue!

I hope I can get the forum going eventually.