Friday, May 19, 2006

How do find what voice to write in? It's not like I ever actually decide to go first-person, it just happens. I worked for quite a long time trying to get started on writing the series of mysteries that I'm working on now, but it just never started until I sat down one day and it came out in first person. That was strange for me since my main character was a Japanese-American College professor and a guy. I wasn't sure if I could find a male voice, but the guys who read it say it is. We have a big in common, my character and I. We're both hillbillies, we don't like undercooked meat, we like cats and both watch Magnum P.I. But I'm not sure why I hear his voice and not others. I've spun off other characters in this little Cyndaverse of mine to their own stories, but I don't write them in first person. They just don't talk to me that way. And on that subject, do other people have control over their characters? Can you make them do and say anything you want or do you just write what they say. I mean, I could write something down on paper they don't want to say, but it would never sound right and never fit in. I really feel like I do have a muse. Perhaps if I wasn't creative I'd be in a cell talking about the voices. But I often feel I have no real control over the plot. It does what it does and I've been surprised to go back and read my own stuff and see that I've foreshadowed things that would happen three or four books laters without consciensely meaning to do it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At some point I start narrating and the voice comes. I can prepare for the story, make notes, do research, but the actual writing starts sort of suddenly.

I don't think I could ever use first person when the narrator is an alien.

For the story I'm preparing to start now, I was thinking 3rd person omniscient narrator because I want the reader to know more than the protagonist will know about a lot of things. Then I started imagining it unfolding like a movie, with a lot of information being presented visually. Moment of panic - i don't want it to be a screenplay! Then I thought if it wants to behave like a movie I'll just tell the story that way. And in a story you can present a lot of information directly to the reader without going through the narrator. So I don't know what the narration will be like or who will be speaking. I don't know much about my protagonist either. I need to do some research, because the setting is a no-frills space station, and I need to know more about what that would be like - probably low or no gravity.

Cyn said...

I'm working on a story about 1920's Toledo, which was actually pretty roaring with a whole lot of underworld activity. I've had to do a bunch of research. Right now I'm really ticked that Willys Overland did not make the mint green Whippet car until 1926 when I really wanted someone to drive one in 1925. She had to settle for a blue touring car. Rats....