Tuesday, August 08, 2006

104 days.

That's how long it took Asimov's to reject my ms.

I really hate their form letter. It's rude and insulting. Analog's is a million times better.

Having the occasion to look at Analog's form letter again (when comparing it with Asimov's) I noticed that one of the themes they say has been done so often it's impossible to get a fresh story out of it is when the alien world turns out to be Earth. I suppose "Being" can be seen that way. Alien scientist observing Earth. Is that corny? Maybe I should run it by the Critters...

3 comments:

AWJ said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Linda. **** 'em. You can find a home that'll appreciate your story and YOU.

I remember subbing to Weird Tales years ago. Granted, I now admit I wasn't ready to start sending out my stuff, but their rejection letter was so rude and condescending that I swore I'd never sub to them again. It was a real eye-opener to how some markets act.

Cyn said...

I feel your pain. Sorry to hear it.

Cyn said...

I would also say that no plot is corny if it's done right. I think that characters are what counts. What they're doing is often incidental. Also, all that rejection letter means is that you didn't write the story the person who read it was looking for at the time. I've had the same promo declared genius by one consultant and terrible by another from the same company.