Saturday, January 08, 2011

For Part III of my novel, all I have to do is describe the movie from the point of view of Debra sitting in the audience. I don't have to write the screenplay or direct the movie, just describe seeing it.

Of course, the movie doesn't exist, but why should that be a problem? I've described planets and life forms that don't exist. If i can imagine them, I can write about them. How is this different?

One of the many words the most brilliant Torah scholar I know personally uses to describe the Torah is "cinematic." Since I heard that, I haven't seen the Torah the same way. There's gotta be at least 23 screenplays in there. Why have so few of them been written?

So this is just one. And, as I said, I am not writing the screenplay. I am just pretending Debra's friend Segullah did, and Debra is watching it. The other significance of the movie is that seeing it is a turning point in Debra and Sal's relationship. They don't call it a date, at least Debra doesn't, and Sal's too smart to draw attention to it, but it is their first date.

No comments: