Monday, July 03, 2006

The reason I mentioned "The Meateaters" by Sue Lange and "Babysitting" by Christine W. Murphy as influences/inspiration is to me those stories are a kind of women's sci-fi, though maybe not by the usual definition. In "Meateaters" all the characters are women who work in a meat processing plant, in a world where men seem peripheral. Why they're peripheral was one of the many questions the story left me pondering, though not really the most interesting one. "Babysitting" is IMHO about a deliciously brutal feminist justice. I'll add to those "Nano Comes to Clifford Falls" by Nebula and Hugo award-winning Nancy Kress, in July Asimov's. It's the strong working class woman's voice of the narrator that makes me include this story in my women's sci-fi category.

In my stories "The Daily Grind" (in progress) and "The Enemy" I'm going after something I believe these 3 authors achieve. I've been envisioning for quite awhile a collection of short sci-fi and/or horror stories, each with a different aspect of women's experiences, mostly to do with work, as a theme.

Hmm, is this a subgenre? What can we call it?

(I said some of this in a comment on the post about writers who influienced us.)

No comments: