Sunday, July 04, 2010

After submitting "The Daily Grind" to THE NEW YORKER, I also submitted 3 poems to MOONDANCE: CELEBRATING CREATIVE WOMEN. I really only wanted to submit the one about Nina, now titled "What Is It About Nina?" but they want 3-5. I picked the 2 in my poetry folder I thought were the best, titled "The Pre-Med" (which I wrote while at Pomona College) and one I just retitled "At the Library" because I know I initially wrote it at the library at UCSB, and I think that title will add to the reader's appreciation of the poem. I don't really understand the poetry market, don't read it, only write it once in awhile. When I was very young, high school and college, it's mostly what I wrote, and if I'd pursued that path my whole life might have been different.

I don't think MOONDANCE is very organized about submissions, or rejections, anyway. I had one acceptance from them, and no reply ever to my next submission.

My submission might stand a better chance if I had submitted 3 poems about special women in my life instead of 1 about a special woman, 1 about some guy, and one about some weird moment freshman year. But the poem about my cousin Hillary that I wrote for her 50th birthday struck me as incomplete, and the one about a woman that was special to me in my teens made me cringe. So i picked the 2 that i thought were best.

There's also a poem I wrote about my husband years ago that I couldn't find to evaluate whether I thought it was any good or not. That drives me crazy. I suppose it will turn up. It's not on the computer.

No comments: